Home > Immigration > Parents/Grandparents  
BC business streams
Quebec business
Federal investor
Federal skilled worker
Federal Skilled Trades
Self-employed person
Federal Investor
Canada experience class
British Columbia (BC)
Alberta (AB)
Manitoba (MB)
Saskatchewan (SK)
Quebec Skilled Worker
Quebec Experience Class
Quebec Family Class
Quebec Business
Spousal sponsorship

Sponsoring a parent or grandparent


Parents and grandparents may be eligible to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents. 

There must be a sponsor for any relative immigrating to Canada within the Family Class. Both the person sponsoring a relative and the person wishing to immigrate to Canada must meet certain requirements. 

Applicants for permanent residence must go through medical, criminal and background checks. An applicant with a criminal record may not be allowed to enter Canada. People who pose a risk to Canada’s security are also not allowed to enter Canada. An applicant may have to provide a certificate from police authorities in the home country. 

You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and if you are 18 years of age or older.


You may not be eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent if you: 

  • - Failed to provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past

  • - Defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support

  • - Received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability

  • - Were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances, such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada), was issued

  • - Defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments

  • - Are in prison or

  •  -Have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.


Other factors not mentioned in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative. 

When you sponsor a parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must promise to support that person and their dependants financially. Therefore, you have to meet certain income requirements. If you have previously sponsored relatives who later turned to the Canadian government for financial assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person.

Home About Us Immigration Study Work Contact Us

© Copyright WeCAN Immigration Corporation. All Rights Reserved.